Search This Blog

Monday, January 25, 2010

Hilarious Reading...

Sometimes, like today while sitting in a coffee shop in Manhattan, I begin to laugh at what I am reading. It is so heady much of the time, so complicated to try to understand this general theory and relative theory and special theory, and then all of a sudden I will come upon some hilarious remark and I am falling off my chair laughing. For instance, in Chapter 12, Fame. At one point, when Einstein's theory concerning a light arc from stars, shown by taking photographs of a total eclipse is proven, the New York Times comes out with the most humorous headlines. "Stars Not Where They Seemed to be, But nobody Need Worry".
One reviewer for the Times said, "Scientists who proclaim that space comes to an end somewhere are under some obligation to tell us what lies beyond it." It seemed so funny that I couldn't read anymore for the day. One really has to give Walter Isaacson credit for making this biography not only understandable to the lowly simpleton like me, but incredibly entertaining as well. It really would make a great movie. Not that movies are all that great. Nothing can replace the joy of reading a great book. And I admit I am finding this book all that.

No comments:

Post a Comment