Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Either Ether Or

Just a note to self here. Several issues I brought up and considered, I found when turning the page of Einstein his Life and Universe, were way off. In my small and dim-witted manner, I thought the Theory of Relativity to mean all space and time is relative. And almost two pages later the writer cautions "Einstein did NOT mean everything is relative. Nor did he mean everything is subjective..." and again I am paraphrasing, but I don't like to quote directly. Why bother? You can buy this book for 18 dollars at Boders or Banes and Nobe. I misspell them on purpose you understand. It isn't that I do not like them. I actually love both stores. But they have run the little bookshops out of business and so I feel they are not fair. If only they would share! It is interesting to note how every parent on the planet teaches their 2 year olds to share. "Now bobby let Timmy play with your truck" NO! "Bobby you HAVE to SHARE." Bobby screams. Timmy screams. "Either you SHARE or I take the truck away." Bobby and Timmy continue to scream. The parent removes the truck. "OK then no one gets to play with it," says the parent. And yet Boder and Banes & Nobe did not learn this. Actually no one learns this. At 2 years old, the child is forced to share, and the parent thinks they are "Teaching". But really all that has happened is the child has learnt resentment.
If Boders had one store in every state they would still make lots of money. And the same for Banes and Nobe. But they have to have a store on every block in every city. They have to be greedy. It is supposed to be the human condition. To be greedy we are told, is to be human. "Bobby you are being greedy. Time Out!" Bobby is sent to a space where time stops for him. He must wait until he no longer feels greedy. But this will never occur. He will discover instead to lie and pretend. He will learn the tricks of the trade. "Are you ready to share?" "yes" says Bobby. He is brought out of the warp and time begins again for him. Anyway, Timmy has gone home. Bobby sits by himself on the rug playing with his truck while his nose runs and his hands no longer love the shiny feeling of the fender.
Really this has nothing to do with Ether or Einstein. OR by the way, is the Hebrew word meaning Light. Let there be Or. Let there be either or. Either you understand this relativity or you will remain a dimwit through out all four dimensions. Einstein Einstein why hast thou forsaken me? If time is different depending on whether you are in a train speeding fast or on the embankment at rest (and god knows why it had to be an embankment....) then why is EVERYTHING not relative? Why is that not correct either? Einstein discarded the Ether theory and in that way discovered this relativity thing. I have to assume ETHER is in some way the passing of time... the blob we march through thru life. So that we can look back in to the ether and say "that happened..." and without that blob we have gone no where. Is THAT the ether? Or is that just time? How can discarding the substance invisible that holds all together bring about the theory of relativity? Einstein according to this book did not call it relativity. He called it the invariance. I had to look up that word to be sure, and it means "something that does not change under a transformation". Don't you love the way this sounds nonsensical? Like it was a word invented by a dimwit. Something that does not change under change. Ok. Like when I put anti aging cream on my face? I have changed the surface of my face but the skin remains the same, wrinkled and spotty. This then means my wrinkles are an invariant. Anyway, moving away from the Self here...
the invariance theory. The unchanging-despite-changes theory. One note here for those people who are actually concerned with aging, since I did bring up wrinkles. According to this book, if you remain on an airplane your entire life, you will have aged less than other people... exactly 5 seconds or something like that. Not all that much... But it's a start. On the other hand, I find airplane travel to dry out the skin and make me weary. So frankly, I don't believe that theory. It might have been made up by the airlines.
It was good old Max Planck who came up with the word Relative to describe Einsteins calculations. I don't know about you, but I just love Max Planck. I have loved him since I first heard his name... and with a reverence reserved only for those closest to God. He's the scientist who came up with the idea of the big bang. And what better way to describe the beginning and the end? the alpha and the omega? It's just as I wrote it in one of my novels "Old War Wounds". The heavens will copulate.....
Reading this book, I see how cozy it all sounds. Einstein and Planck and all the other scientists and mathematicians cozily coming up with information to change the globe. Just as Van Gogh and all the impressionists were chumming around together in France coming up with all the great art of the era. Or how the writing gang were all one herd of great writers...
In a way relative and invariance are similar. A relative, say your child, is from you yet not you. You have changed yet you have not changed into something other than human. Something that does not change under change. Well maybe it is a stretch. Like Ether... ether was considered a stretchy substance.
Walter Isaacson wrote this biography of Einstein. He also wrote a biography of Benjamin Franklin, another illuminated one who came to earth to bring about great change in this invariant place we reside. Benjamin Franklin brought with him the printing press and the theory of electricity, which helped greatly when Einstein arrived. Benjamin Franklin also helped establish the free country of America, which later brought Einstein over the waters to save him from Hitler and also to help make the bomb which could eventually take us all back to Planck Time. (see my unpublished novel Old War Wounds)

1 comment: